In modern reality, the design of the kitchen (and any other room in the apartment) has certain standards that are commonly followed. The living room should have a large sofa and a TV, the bedroom should be dark and cozy, the kitchen should have wall lockers in which you can put all kinds of things.
However, these "must" are as conditional as any idea of the best design. Kitchen without wall cabinets can be a great solution, despite the novelty and originality of this idea.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of the solution include:
- The abundance of light. It is this factor that is usually decisive - without kitchen cabinets, any kitchen seems more spacious and lighter. This is especially important if the room itself is small and not too bright.
- Space. The less furniture in the kitchen, the easier it is to turn around on it and the more spacious it seems. If you remove the wall cabinets, you immediately get the feeling of a large open space, even if the kitchen itself is small.
- Purity. Wall-mounted cabinets with doors, of course, protect the objects inside from dust and dirt, but they themselves are easily contaminated. Dust accumulates on the upper part, grease and fumes on the lower part, which are extremely hard to scrub.
- Saving. Wall cabinets cost money, and besides, the master who will hang them will have to pay. If you do not include them in the interior, it will help reduce costs.
- Security. It happens rarely, but still, the wall cabinets sometimes fall, and it’s good if there is no person or glassware under them at that moment.
- Large space for decor. The absence of wall cabinets means that the walls remain free - you can hang posters on them, stick beautiful wallpapers or decorate them with any accessories that match the style.
In addition, wall cabinets can be simply inconvenient for the owner if he is not tall: to get to things, he will have to stand on a stool each time, which can be avoided by choosing other options instead.
However, the kitchen without top cabinets has its drawbacks:
- Less storage space. Crockery, spices, cereals or necessary equipment are usually stored in wall cabinets. If you remove them from the interior, you will have to invent other places where you can put their contents.
- The abundance of light. Strangely enough, this may be a drawback - any imperfections are immediately visible in the bright kitchen: from the spill of spilled juice to fingerprints on the shiny surface of the stove. In addition, you will have to carefully plaster and tidy the walls - any flaws that could hide the cabinets will be visible.
If you do not compensate for the shortcomings, the kitchen design without wall cabinets will be beautiful, but it is completely not functional.
Moreover, you need to clearly understand why using it in a particular kitchen - otherwise you will not be able to use strengths.
Dependencies on the overall interior
Because what constitutes a room, depends on the appropriateness of the absence of wall cabinets.
On the one hand, the solution has an obvious plus - the smaller the bulky furniture, the more visually roomier and lighter the room looks. On the other hand, in a small kitchen it will not be possible to place many shelves for storing things, a cupboard will not fit into it, and, moreover, it will not be possible to equip a storeroom in it. Therefore, before abandoning wall cabinets, you need to carefully consider what will stand and how.
In this case, there are many surfaces and storages; wall cabinets can be easily discarded without damage. And if the absence of a small kitchen just makes a little more, the large one will look really spacious.
Moreover, the appropriateness of the use of wall cabinets depends on the shape of the furniture set.
- If it is located by the letter "P", the lack of wall cabinets will help create a sense of professionalism and minimalism - especially if you focus on the stove or the surface of the desktop.
- If it is located at an angle, the lack of wall cabinets will help to remove the feeling of heaviness and bulkiness that always accompanies an attempt to make a corner cabinet.
- If it is located rectangular, the absence of wall cabinets will not be too critical, and how well it fits in will depend only on the owners.
- If it is located on an island type, the absence of wall cabinets will allow focusing on the main table, which will definitely benefit the kitchen.
In addition, kitchen design without wall cabinets does not imply the absence of any replacement. Indeed, in addition to bulky lockers, there are many other interesting solutions.
What can replace them?
Wall cabinets in the house are needed to conveniently store things that should always be at hand. But the rejection of them does not mean that things need to be moved down or completely thrown out. You just need to choose another interior solution that fits better into the design and less cumbersome.
Despite its size, if you place it not in the path of light in a comfortable corner, it will not create a sense of pressure and gravity, like wall cabinets. Moreover, it can be designed so that it will look like an interesting element of the interior. If there is a glass door, you can beautifully set the dishes behind it. If the door is opaque, you can choose a coating with an interesting pattern.
Woodcarving, different national styles - the buffet can be a real decoration of the kitchen. Its only drawback is the difficulty of installation and assembly.
They look less bulky than cabinets, and you can place them with much more imagination. They can be located steps, the wall can be strangely painted behind them, they can be noticeably smaller than the cabinets. The only minus is dust, which will accumulate on the surface and which will have to be wiped at least once a few days.
Replacing any cabinet is easy to fit under its wide surface - neat shelves, closed or unclosed doors, the ability to place everything in any order. The only negative is the need to bend over every little thing, which can be difficult for the elderly or those who have problems with the spine. The bar counter has similar pros and cons.
The walls are an important part of the interior, and if they are free, they also need to pay attention. Can:
- Leave them empty. In minimalist design it will be the most organic solution: free bright space as the main idea. The only thing that can remain attached is an exhaust hood, without which it becomes difficult to cook.
- Hang posters and posters. They can be motivating statements, favorite characters, beautiful landscapes that will give the kitchen a more comfortable and habitable look.
- Hang kitchen supplies. It is both practical and aesthetic.
- Hang the watch with a washable dial.
Any solution is good. The main thing is that it was appropriate, combined with the rest of the interior and did not devalue the initial rejection of wall cabinets.