Sometimes so want to change the annoying interior of the dwelling. But there is no money for new furniture, as well as free time for repairs. In a situation like this, material that came into being quite recently comes to the rescue - it is a self-adhesive film for furniture. The use of self-bonding will help in the short term to update old furniture and bring a special mood into the living space.
What is a self-adhesive film?
The product is made in small rolls and looks like ordinary wallpaper. The main distinguishing feature is the fact that when working with a film, glue is not required, only a ruler and scissors.
Self-adhesive is a colored or transparent film made of polyvinyl chloride. On one side of it are applied various images or textures, on the other - a special adhesive composition. For example, the film under the tree is popular, which gives the furniture a presentable appearance. In order to glue the product, you need to remove the paper layer, which closed the adhesive surface, and then attach the film to the furniture facade.
The sticker is one of the varieties of vinyl films. But it is not a solid canvas, but a special pattern, image, ornament, or real picture with a specific plot. The film is used for decorating various surfaces.
Products are produced in rolls, the width of which can be 45, 67, 50 or 90 cm. The length of such a roll is 2, 8 or 15 meters. The cost of the roll will depend on the listed parameters and characteristics of the material. As a rule, the price varies from 350 to 4500 rubles. The cost of one individual sticker is based on its size and image features. Currently, you can buy special copyright products created by renowned designers. Their price will be quite high.
Varieties of decorative films for furniture
Among the stickers that help to update items of furniture, there are the following types:
- Traditional monochrome options.
- Metallized films. Characterized by durability, shine when light hits.
- Decorative. Such variants incredibly believably imitate various textures: a film under a tree of various breeds, metal, textiles, mosaic, leather; and they are often decorated with all sorts of images.
- With 3D effect. Create interesting natural visual illusions.
- Transparent options with an ornament or pattern, which can paste glass surfaces.
- Velor. The stickers have a soft, velvety surface pleasant to the touch.
- Fluorescent. Such models not only provide an update of the type of furniture, but also glow in the dark.
- With the effect of the school board. Suitable for children's rooms, because they can write or draw.
The decor of the furniture will directly depend on the type and quality level of the sticker. It is important that the decorative film for furniture harmoniously fit into the interior of the dwelling. There are several types of products with a fundamentally different type of surface and appearance:
- glossy film - great for rooms with insufficient lighting;
- matte, on the contrary, looks best in bright sunny interiors;
- A mirror film would be appropriate to look at absolutely any room, including a small one.
- holographic allows not only to update the furniture, but also to give it a unique appearance.
Variety of film by type of structure
Depending on the device, two types of vinyl film are distinguished.
The material for them is made from mixtures consisting of several components, in particular, from plasticizers and PVC. Additional components are pigments and stabilizers that ensure the strength of the product and its design. All necessary substances are mixed together until a homogeneous mass. As a result of heat treatment, a film is formed. The characteristics and basic properties of the labels will depend on the variety of plasticizers used.
Double Layer Products
To create such coatings, two canvases are made separately: the base and the protective cover. For the former, paper or textiles are used, for the latter, a polyvinyl chloride resin with different composition. For their connection, extrusion, calender molding, and caching technologies are used. Finished products are characterized by high plasticity, which contributes to a more convenient application. As for the technical characteristics, they are somewhat worse compared to single-layer models.
When choosing a film for wood or with a pattern, it is necessary to take into account properties that depend on the structure. It is the structure that determines its target orientation. From the correct choice will depend on the durability of the finish.
In this regard, the number of possible options is almost unlimited. The film under the skin gives the room a presentable expensive appearance. The same characteristics are characteristic of stickers that imitate natural stone or wood. For a modern interior, the variants repeating the texture of various fabrics are more suitable. It is enough just to glue the furniture with velor film, and a cozy homely atmosphere will reign in your home. Golden or silver products with gloss harmoniously fit into the high-tech style.
You can always choose a suitable version of the film under the tree, the color of which corresponds to the real texture of the new furniture. Stickers are suitable for the restoration of the old situation. You can update any surface.
Film with drawings of a particular subject is often used in the nursery. Decorative coating changes with time depending on the age and interests of the child. A wardrobe or table plastered with blackboard effect will help the kid to draw without damaging the wallpaper.
How to glue a self-adhesive film? This is a simple job, so there is no difficulty with it. One has only to take into account several important nuances:
- The surface to be pasted must be prepared. If there are no irregularities on it, it is enough just to wipe the facade of the furniture, cleaning it from dirt and dust. Soap or alcohol solution is used for degreasing. Surfaces with irregularities, cracks, damage are ground, sealed with a special putty for furniture, and then treated with a primer. Rust and particles of peeling paint should be removed. It is important to remember that the pasting of furniture with vinyl film will be of poor quality if even small foreign particles get under it.
- The section of the facade is measured, dots indicate the place of sticking.
- The necessary amount of film is cut from the roll with a small margin of 2-3 cm.
- The paper with adhesive composition should be removed carefully so that it does not tear. After that, you can glue the self-adhesive film on the furniture. Careful movements it is smoothed on the surface of the facade from top to bottom. It is important to prevent the formation of bubbles.
- Small stickers are completely separated from the protective layer. Compared to a roll film, such patterns may consist of one or several parts. If you have to work with large stickers or pieces of film, it is better if 2 people participate in the process.