Old Soviet radiators have a rather long lifespan, and even when it ends, the radiators continue to fulfill their intended purpose quite well. The only unpleasant moment is a noticeably spoiled exterior that violates the overall concept of the interior. Recently, new radiators have undergone some transformations and acquired an improved look, focused on modern trends in the field of interior design. But not always new radiators fit harmoniously into the general form of repair.
Screens, regardless of their material, are an excellent solution to several tasks:
- Protection. Radiators, whether old or new, are dangerous to the health of residents. It is possible to burn the skin from the heated surface of the batteries, and protruding parts, when striking them, can cause mechanical damage. Radiators are especially dangerous in this regard for children. Different types of screens for radiators reliably perform the protective functions of the health of adults and children.
- Hygienic cleanliness. The complex form of batteries in the form of an accordion has always served as a hard-to-reach spot where dust and dirt collect. Cleaning near radiators brings a lot of negative emotions, so the screen, protecting the battery from dust particles, will help facilitate the process.
- Improved convection qualities of radiators. Due to the fact that in many screens designed for heating systems, there are cuts, additional spaces and specially provided elements, it is possible to increase the overall convection of radiators. Often in the gap between the battery and the wall have a reflective screen, and when heated, it increases heat transfer.
- Decorative solutions. The most common screens for the heating system are installed in order to harmonize it with the interior. To hide the radiator and add the missing elements to the décor, the grilles choose a non-standard look. Today, there are an infinite number of options for the execution of screens for radiators that differ in material, shape, decor and design, so there will be no problems with the choice.
Classification of protective structures
As already stated above, there are currently very many variations of protective designs for batteries. They can differ in material, method of installation and technical performance. If we talk about the material from which to produce protective structures, the most common screens are:
- metal (most suitable for thermal indicators will be bronze, copper, aluminum and steel)
- wood (usually valuable species)
- from MDF, HDF
All screens for radiators are classified according to the method of execution:
- hinged design without a cover, it is installed if the radiator is located in a recess below the window.
- hinged design with a cover is needed if the battery is protruding.
- Flat protections are required in case the battery is hidden in the niche.
- screen-box set when hide is required not only the radiator, but also all related communications.
If the protective design for heating devices is made of metal, then it has several advantages. The main advantage of such screens is their thermal conductivity. Since the metal is a good conductor of thermal energy, the convection characteristics of the radiator itself will not be disturbed. Such structures have a long service life. The disadvantage of metal screens is the cost, which is an order of magnitude higher than others, it can increase depending on the size and decorative designs. Screens are ideally compatible with aluminum, cast iron, bimetallic radiators and significantly improve their thermal performance.
The wooden massif is a universal material that is amenable to any kind of processing, which makes it possible to embody even the most incredible designs and turn the protective screen into an interior item with carved patterns. Environmental friendliness of the selected material is also important, especially for the house where there are small children. If you choose a screen box from a wooden array, you can forget about changing it for a long time, because such protection is durable and reliable.
HDF and MDF screens
A very nice advantage of screens from MDF and HDF is the price. In addition, the material is very well treatable, which helps to realize the most daring ideas of the interior. Unlike wood, this material is not afraid of cracking. Quite often make carved, openwork and patterned screens.
Such protective structures have only one plus - this is the price. In fact, they emit harmful substances when heated, so most often such screens are used in offices, industrial premises and warehouses.
Good glass screens for batteries of at least 8 mm are expensive. The most used options are flat glass constructions together with a wooden massif. Often choose from two options: screens made of glass with a pattern or backlight.