Veneered panels are now actively used in the process of interior decoration of walls and ceilings. They perfectly fit into most stylistic trends and are able to decorate a modern interior. Currently, the construction market offers a huge number of different panels for the walls. They are made of natural wood, MDF and chipboard.
The veneer itself is a thin woody cut that conveys the look and structure of natural wood. It is used to design interior doors, wall panels and furniture elements. Veneering is performed by hot pressing a wood sheet to a base made of wood, MDF or chipboard.
Modern technologies make it possible to create a veneer called faynline, it is made of cheap wood and processed in such a way that imitation of valuable wood is obtained.
Veneered panels for walls made of natural wood are rarely used because of their high cost and small selection of colors and textures. At the heart of such plates is a wooden array of low-grade varieties, which is pasted over with veneer of expensive species: oak, alder, cedar.
A room decorated with natural veneered panels looks very rich and spectacular, but such pleasure is very expensive. But the material is natural and environmentally friendly.
Veneered MDF boards are visually very similar to wood, but they are much cheaper. MDF plates are made of finely shredded chips, which are pressed under pressure at high temperature. For bonding do not use any chemical adhesives, heat treatment chips emit a natural adhesive substance lignin. The resulting slab is grinded across, and then lengthwise — a perfectly smooth surface is obtained. Then it is ironed with a special hot roller and painted with varnish or colored paint. At the end of the surface is coated with wax. All these procedures contribute to the improvement of such material qualities as strength and moisture resistance.
For interior decoration also use wall panels made of chipboard. This is the cheapest type of veneered finishing materials, as they are based on chipboard. It is produced by pressing dry wood chips with the addition of synthetic adhesive resins. Veneering is the same as for MDF. The advantages of the material of chipboard are:
- low price;
- ease of maintenance and installation;
- a large abundance of various colors and shapes.
But veneered panels made of chipboard have many disadvantages:
- poor environmental performance;
- absorb moisture;
- big weight;
- low quality in comparison with other veneered panels.
To improve the moisture resistance of the material of chipboard, it is covered with plastic. In this case, the panel can have any appearance - from imitation of oak to bright acid shades.
What are the forms of panels?
The size and shape of the panel are divided into:
Rack panels are long strips of various lengths, thicknesses and widths. This type is most popular when decorating walls or ceilings in small rooms. Installation of veneered panels of the rack form is carried out on wooden or metal guides using self-tapping screws or staples. The slats are laid so that they are perpendicular to the guides. Each other planks are connected by the method of "thorn into the groove." In this case there will be a minimum gap between them. In the corner, the slatted strips are joined with the help of special fittings.
The variety of shapes, sizes and shades allows designers to enter veneered panels in almost any style of interior. This lining is used to create interiors in the classical, minimalist, colonial or eco-style.
In order to get a trendy and original interior using veneered panels, use the following techniques:
- They take two types of panels of different colors, contrasting with each other, and arrange them in a checkerboard pattern, randomly or at certain intervals.
- If you have small children or animals, and you are worried about stains on the walls, you can choose panels of variegated colors. It will be more original if you arrange them so that the wood fibers are directed in different directions: some are horizontal, others are vertical.
- The zoning method is perfectly applicable to this type of material: a section of the wall behind the bed or sofa is trimmed with panels, and the rest of the room is decorated with wallpaper or plaster.
- If you plan to finish a large room, you will fit the chaotic arrangement of panels in two or three levels. And if you put the backlight in separate plates, it will enhance the visual effect of the interior.
Veneered panels will allow you to create not only unique but also practical design of any room. They have absorbed the environmental friendliness and beauty of natural wood, but at the same time lack its drawbacks: desiccation and excessive moisture absorption.