Zinia is an unpretentious plant that is well adapted to the climate of the middle lane and has a huge variety of varieties and species. It is most common in America, where it is valued by gardeners for specific advantages:
- A huge variety of shapes and colors. You can find a variety that fits into any design decision and will decorate any garden, no matter how it looks.
- Any height to choose from. Types of cynia are so diverse that among them are found as low-growing zinia, barely reaching twenty centimeters, and tall plants growing into lush bushes almost a meter tall. Thus, for any purpose there is a suitable option.
- Unpretentiousness. Almost does not require the cultivation, and care for cynia at home is quite simple. Periodic irrigation and rare fertilizer are enough to cause a riot of colors throughout the summer on a bed with qiniahs.
- Long bloom. The aroma of flowering cynium will fill the garden all summer - blooming at the very beginning of June, tsini bloom only by mid-autumn, when the first frosts strike. If you grow them in an apartment in pots, the flowering will last all year round.
- Resistance to drought and wind. Even for the highest varieties of zynia, additional garters are not needed - their sturdy stems are able to withstand even the most powerful impulses. The same applies to the heat - even in the most severe drought, thermophilic tsini will not die.
The only thing that can really threaten the flowers is sudden frosts. Should the temperature fall below zero, and the tsiniya will die if the pots do not carry it into the house. Frost is terrible to all species - among all the dozens not to find a single cold-resistant.
Types of tsiniya
At home, usually grown two main varieties of ziniya, which, in turn, are divided into many subspecies, sometimes radically different from each other. A similar diversity has been achieved over long years of breeding: all over the world, gardeners have been working on breeding new varieties and species.
The first common variety is graceful zine. I came to the world of horticulture from southern Mexico, it is very variable in subspecies. Reaches up to ninety centimeters in height, the leaves are pointed, with an edge without denticles, are located opposite each other and right on the stem. Flowers elongated, a variety of shades. Blossoms very plentifully, from June to the first frost. Seeds of tsinii graceful remain viable up to four years - but require soaking before sowing. There are separate groups of species of zinnia graceful.
Zinnia of this group grow sprawling bushes, reaching a height of ninety centimeters. Their flowers have the shape of half a ball, up to fifteen centimeters in diameter, the petals are terry, their edges are slightly bent inward. Separate species are distinguished:
- violet - purple flowers of various shades;
- crimson monarch - dense dark red flowers;
- Lavender Queen - lavender flowers with a shade of purple;
- orange king - orange or red-orange flowers;
- polar bear - flowers of white color with a greenish tinge;
- purple prince - very showy purple flowers;
- rose - pink flowers of various shades;
- tango - friable, red-orange flowers;
- Envy is the most original and suitable for non-standard design solutions variety with lush green colors.
Zinnias of this group grow in compact, undersized bushes, hardly reaching even half a meter in height. Their leaves are small, pointed, the flowers are very dense, rounded and terry. Small - barely reach four centimeters in diameter. Blooms profusely, not consistently, but simultaneously. Separate species are distinguished:
- the red cap is almost a round bush with bright red flowers, which even constantly in the sun do not lose their color saturation;
- there-tambas are bright red flowers, flatter than those of the red cap;
- Tummy - very dense inflorescences from pink to red.
Spherical bushes reaching up to sixty centimeters in height. The leaves are large, inflorescences loose, curly-looking. Petals are rolled up and diverge in different directions, sometimes split at the ends. Various shades of flowers - from salmon to bright red.
The second most common variety is narrow-leaved cynium. She came to the world of horticulture from Mexico. Annual, grows sprawling bushes up to forty centimeters tall. The leaves are attached directly to the stem, usually elongated, up to six centimeters long. The flowers are small, up to four centimeters in diameter, monophonic, loose. There are types:
- sunny circle - flowers with a dark orange center and a red-brown edge, on a bush that barely reaches a height of twenty-five centimeters;
- Persian carpet - semi-double red flowers with different shades, from white to yellow, which allows them to look in the flower garden as a single colorful oriental carpet;
- the classics are flowers of white, yellow and orange flowers with a thin, weak stem, due to which it turns out not bush plants, but rather ground cover plants;
- sombrero - flowers of a red-brown shade with a bright orange edging.
Any kind - red zinnia, double ziniya, dwarf tsiniya - blooms from early June until the first serious frosts, so you should choose based on aesthetic preferences. Tall bushes? Low bushes? White, orange, purple, even green? Which tsiniya seeds to buy depends solely on the design solution for the site, since the method of germination and home care is always the same.
How to plant tsinii?
On the question of how to grow zinia, there are two possible answers.
Planting tsiniya in the ground
Seeds of tsiniya will sprout well, if you plant them in open soil - but when choosing this method, you should remember that the slightest frosts will kill the still weak plant. Zinia is planted in open ground, usually in March-April, and it is possible only in a warm mild climate. The process takes place in several stages:
- Selection. To separate tsiniya seeds from non-viable seeds, it should be wrapped in damp gauze and left for a couple of days. Those that will release sprouts after this period are suitable for planting.
- Place preparation. The soil should be dug up so that it is saturated with oxygen, and dig up shallow grooves in it.
- Sowing. Seeds should be poured into the grooves and gently sprinkle the top with sand.
- Creating conditions and waiting. The sowed bed should be covered with an opaque film to create greenhouse conditions for the seeds. The temperature inside should not fall below twenty degrees. When the seeds of tsiniya germinate, you can remove the film and care for them, as for any planted seedlings - spray, water and very carefully loosen the ground.
In order for the long-term Zinia to grow well and bloom profusely, you need to monitor the following important parameters:
- Accommodation Flowers tiniya, planting and care that require some care, love the light. A place bathed in scattered sunlight will definitely suit them. Also, it should be protected from drafts and, ideally, located on a hill, because tsini not stand water stagnation.
- The soil. Must be well drained and fertile. Before planting tsinii should dig it half a meter deep, killing weeds and saturating it with oxygen. If it is assumed that the flowers on it will be perennial, you can make organic dressing.
- Watering. Zinia, the care for which requires moderation rather than excess, prefers that this rule be followed when watering. It should be regular and moderate - less water is better than more. Watering should be at the root, so that water does not fall on the inflorescences - otherwise the flower may begin to suffer from one of the specific diseases caused by excess moisture.
- Loosening. It should be carried out regularly, so that zinia is not disturbed by diseases and pests, as well as a lack of oxygen. Be sure to do this as carefully as possible.
- Top dressing. Feed tsiniya a month after planting in the ground and immediately after the formation of buds. As a fertilizer, complex mineral or manure solution is used.
- Topping. Any cynia whose varieties can be any does not need pinching. It is enough to remove faded buds - then its flowering will be more abundant.
Perennial zinnia, planting and caring for which is not so difficult, will bloom, delighting everyone who visits the site every summer. Minimal watering, twice fertilization plus transfer to the house for the winter - that's all this unpretentious plant needs.