Sealants are a necessary and irreplaceable material when repairing any structures, including wooden ones. Moreover, the compositions are used at different stages of work.
Sealant is a pasty or viscous mass made on the basis of polymers. The sealing effect appears after the curing of the composition or evaporation of the solvent.
Sealants for wood can be divided into two types:
- used for work with small deformation or lack thereof. For example, for fixation of inactive decorative parts made of wood, at the final stages of laying parquet, wooden plinths;
- Seam sealant for wood is designed for seams and cracks under high deformation conditions. Mainly used for sealing mezhventsovyh seams, cracks between the logs in wooden houses.
Compositions for woodworking are subject to the following requirements:
- reliable protection against winds / drafts, lowering heat losses;
- high-quality elimination of cracks in logs and cracks between them;
- long service life (at least 20 years);
- excellent adhesion against wood surfaces;
- no need for special skills;
- possibility of use inside and outside the room;
- hygiene and environmental friendliness (must comply with natural wood materials). Preservation of exterior beauty and aesthetics of buildings;
- maintaining performance characteristics with seasonal fluctuations in temperature.
A wide offer from manufacturers can make it difficult to choose sealant for wood. To simplify the purchase process, you need to decide in advance with some points:
- place of use of the composition. In the construction markets offer formulations for exterior and interior work, for window frames or roofs, universal and various others;
- loads and factors that will affect the treated structure;
- sealant composition.
The stores offer several types of wood sealants: acrylic, silicone, bituminous, polyurethane.
Acrylic sealant for wood
It is used for interior work. Its main difference is the possibility of dyeing the repaired surface, since the acrylic seam “holds” the paint well.
For finishing use varnishes or acrylic paints. Waterproof and non-waterproof sealants are available.
The high demand for water-resistant composition is due to several positive qualities:
- resistance to water and temperature changes;
- perfectly holds porous surfaces. After applying the composition, one day is enough to completely dry it;
- the ability to pass steam (due to inter seam sealant moisture is not going to);
- affordable price;
- ease of use (no diluents / solvents or heating are required), it is possible to work indoors;
- quality and durability (the surface of the composition does not turn yellow with time and does not lose its properties under the influence of ultraviolet radiation);
- environmental friendliness and fire safety are explained by the absence of toxins and solvents.
The disadvantage of acrylic sealant can be considered low elasticity.
During the internal work it is very important to also choose the color of the sealant, then the seam will be almost imperceptible. Although in some cases a contrasting shade may be a design technique when finishing a room or structure. This option is especially justified if you need to hide planning errors and visually change the geometry of the room.
Shades of decorative materials and flooring (laminate, parquet) are very diverse. When choosing a colored sealant, it is important to remember that the final shade of the composition appears after it has completely dried.
The color palette of sealants from different manufacturers is different. From 10 to 15 tones are offered on the construction markets. The most popular are white color, shades "pine", "wenge", "oak". To facilitate the selection, some manufacturers offer a palette of colors or sample samples of products. If you need a color sealant for wood of a rare shade, then it is advisable to buy a white composition and a special color scheme. By carefully mixing the two materials, you can get the desired tone.
Most of all, wood sealant is suitable for eliminating gaps in logs, boards, and it also perfectly fits cracks near window sills, around door and window openings.
Silicone Wood Sealant
It has more universal use than acrylic, since it is equally used in works outside or inside the building.
The advantages of the composition:
- long service life - about 40 years;
- resistance to significant temperature changes (from -50 to + 140 ° С, to prolonged exposure to moisture and sunlight;
- excellent elasticity.
Silicone sealants are produced in three types.
- Acid - characterized by a strong unpleasant odor (disappears after complete drying of the composition), increased strength.
- Neutral - are environmentally friendly, but more dependent on the effects of atmospheric phenomena.
- Sanitary contain antibacterial additives that prevent the occurrence and spread of mold, fungi. This composition is best suited for interior decoration with high levels of humidity.
Silicone sealants are available in a wide range of shades. Painting the seams of this sealant is impossible and this can be considered a significant disadvantage.
The main components are rubber and bitumen. This is an ideal composition for the repair work of the roof, drains, because it is absolutely not soluble in water. Positive qualities: excellent resistance to low temperatures, can be used on dry and hard surfaces, democratic cost. Sealant is available only in black, which can be considered its main drawback.
Recommendations for working with sealants
For high-quality processing of seams, gaps, it is necessary to observe some rules:
- the treated areas should be prepared: cleaned of dust, old paint or dried sealant;
- for carrying out external works during the winter period of a surface are cleared of snow, hoarfrost;
- to increase the adhesion of the edges of cracks or seams are primed;
- if the crack / joint has a significant depth, an anti-adhesive gasket is used (polyethylene foam cord), which acts as a depth stop. Thanks to this technique, the sealant is significantly saved;
- for economical and high quality expenditure of sealant, mounting guns or pumps are used. The choice of tool depends on the amount of work. Pistol is better to use to eliminate small flaws;
- External work is not carried out in the rain or if precipitation is expected during the drying of the sealant. Also, no work is carried out at air temperatures below 0 ° C. If there is no time, then it is better to use the services of a professional, because special tools and technologies will be required;
- when processing seams it is necessary to monitor their quality filling. The sealant must fit snugly to the surface of the wood;
- in cold and wet weather, the process of complete drying can take several days.
Given the long service life of almost all sealants, you should not save on such compounds and purchase the cheapest. Properly performed sealing will allow for a long time to forget about the problems of cracks and crevices in wooden surfaces.