The paths in the garden are necessary to create a cozy design of the backyard. There are many ways to make a garden path. The simplest and most popular is the use of gravel. This is the most affordable, modern and yet stylish solution for a garden plot. It can be used both for the main tracks for the entrance of transport, and for decorative paths, which are used primarily as decorative elements. Garden paths of gravel have certain advantages and disadvantages, and their creation is permissible far from all personal plots.
In which areas it is better not to use gravel for tracks
Gravel for tracks in the country can be used on virtually any sites. However, there are places where its use may be impractical or ineffective. These include:
- Areas that are practically not engaged. Gravel paths more than others need regular and high-quality care. And it’s not even about the very paths, but about the land around them, therefore, it’s ineffective to use this material in areas that are practically not practiced. Outside the walkway will be neglected land, grass, leaves, and garbage. Over time, it will all be on the track, and it will turn into an ordinary path, on which small pebbles are sprinkled.
- The presence of moles. Small underground residents will very quickly destroy the well-groomed appearance of gravel paths.
- The presence of trees. It is difficult to remove fallen leaves from pebbles. The garden vacuum cleaner can solve the problem, but not every owner of the dacha has it.
- Small children. Kids love to run barefoot in the garden, and walking on bare feet is painful enough to walk barefoot.
If there are no contraindications to the use of gravel, it remains only to choose the type of material and one of the design options for the paths in the garden.
This type of track has a number of significant advantages. These include:
- Affordable price. A path made of gravel with your own hands will be much cheaper than other types of decorative design.
- Wide scope for fantasy. For the original design of the tracks, you can use gray and colored gravel, apply it between fragments of a garden, as a decoration of a flower bed or between plantings.
- Durability. They are not washed away by rains and are very comfortable even in wet periods. With regular removal of weeds and debris, they will last a very long time.
- The simplicity of the device. Making gravel tracks in the country with their own hands is extremely simple, even without special knowledge and skills.
Despite the obvious advantages of using gravel for arranging tracks, this material also has several disadvantages that should be considered when deciding on its use. These include:
- The uniformity of texture and a small selection of colors.
- Requires regular processing of the road base for weed protection.
- The ease of execution, because of which it can not fit into the modern exterior.
Most of the drawbacks are inconclusive, so the gravel paths are very popular.
There are several types of material that can be used to design paths and other elements of the garden. Most often used:
- Granite rubble. It is made in industrial conditions. Differs in durability and an angular form. Because of this, it can remain on the sole. It has a uniform gray color.
- River stone. Small pebbles round shape. Its size is larger than classic gravel, so it should be used in a thin layer.
- Gravel. It has a rounded shape and an unusual color. Walking on this material is very convenient. Most often used in a mixture with fine gravel.
- Crushed slate. Possesses the most attractive decorative qualities. Creates unusual sparkles. Can be mixed with fine gravel.
After choosing the optimal type of material, you can proceed to the design of the track to your liking.
The device tracks of gravel is quite simple. It is enough to have with you the necessary tools and materials, as well as to make a sketch of the future landscape design. Technology, how to make a path of gravel, consists of several basic steps.
Before starting the main works, it is necessary to draw the contours of future tracks. For straight paths, it is best to use low pegs, as well as twine, which must be tied between them. The distance between the pegs should be an average of 1.5 meters.
The winding paths are more difficult to mark. Pegs in this case it is impractical to use. It is better to lay a garden hose, which additionally can be circled with paint, chalk or sand. It should not be too wide a path of this material. Its width should be 0.5-1.2 m. When marking, it is necessary to take into account the width of the border.
It is necessary to remove the sod from previously prepared plots, and also to dig a ditch, the depth of which should be about 20 cm. It is best to dig the side parts of the earth with a bayonet spade, and remove the soil with a shovel. It is also necessary to thoroughly dig, clean from debris and level the bottom of the trench.
The use of curbs when making a gravel track is mandatory. Otherwise, the material will quickly scatter throughout the site. Curbs are installed during the preparation of the ditch. This will help to make gravel easier to sleep.
For its manufacture you can use wooden posts, bricks, natural or curbstone, bottles or a special ribbon border. It should be about 5 cm above the track.
Material for the manufacture of the curb should be fixed to the solution. You must first make a concrete base or at least sand and gravel bedding. Stones for the curb should be about the same size, and the width of the groove for the curb should be several centimeters larger.
Depending on what height of the curb will be, it is necessary to pour a substrate of sand and gravel. Then in the groove should pour concrete. Let it freeze. Then it will be necessary only to lay stones or bricks on the ready basis, previously having filled in in it cement mortar.
For the manufacture of the curb, you can use wooden pegs. However, they must be of high quality, one size and pre-treated with anti-insect and rot preparations. For such a border, it is necessary to dig a groove about 15 cm deep and dig pegs into it. Logs can be the same height, and you can alternate high and low pegs.
Gravel cushion preparation
The bed for decorative gravel can be prepared in several ways:
- At the bottom of the trench must be put geotextiles, then fall asleep with large rubble, which should be mixed with clay beforehand. This mixture must be poured with water and pressed. To do this, it is best to use a vibrating plate, but you can trample down well. After that, the thickness of the pillow should be about 10 cm.
- For the manufacture of pillows can be used and sand. Its use is better suited for drainage. In this case, you first need to lay out large crushed stone with a layer of about 7 cm, then close it with geotextile, and only after that pour sand in a layer of 5 cm.
- The easiest way, which can be used in the case of a gravel track, is to fall asleep the pit with large gravel, after which it is covered with geofabric.
Regardless of the method, the use of polyethylene as a protective membrane is not recommended. This leads to stagnant water. It is necessary to use a material that passes water well. Due to this, the tracks will not have water after the rain, which will increase their lifespan.
A day after the preparation of the pillow, you can go to the main stage of the work - backfilling of gravel. The thickness of the layer should be approximately 5 cm. If several types of decorative gravel are used for the track, it is recommended to mix them in advance so that the color and texture are uniform. Gravel needs to be well leveled and a little tamped.
The consumption of gravel depends on its layer, type and size. On average, a walkway with a width of one meter and a length of 3 cm leaves 50 kg, 5 cm — 60, and 7 cm — 100 kg. The amount of material can vary depending on its fraction.
Thus, the way to properly make a gravel path is quite simple. The path turns durable, beautiful, neat and fits perfectly into the exterior of almost any house or cottage. In addition, manufacturing takes a minimum of time, and when using material of different fractions and color, you will get an incredibly beautiful landscape design.