Opinions on the use of window sills may vary. Someone likes to sit comfortably at the window and watch the passers-by or read a book, and for some the window sill is a real greenhouse. However, the basic requirements for the window sill are practically the same for all: moisture resistance, durability, and a pleasant appearance. Window sills are made of materials with different positive and negative qualities.
The advantages of concrete:
- various decor is possible;
The disadvantages are the formation of potholes, the complexity of the restoration.
Previously, the old protective and decorative coating layer is necessarily removed. Depending on the thickness of the paint layer, one of three methods of removal is selected for this: heat with a building dryer (the paint will swell up), with the help of special formulations or with a construction hammer. If the paint layer is thicker than 3 mm, then it is best to use a construction hammer.
Then the rest of the work is carried out:
- the surface is cleared of paint residues and coated with a primer;
- window sill is puttied and sanded after drying;
- the surface is re-primed and painted after drying.
If the construction is not saved by simple repainting, and there are noticeable damages on it, then the old concrete window sill is being restored.
Restoration of a concrete window sill - a set of works to eliminate damage and restore the integrity of the subject. When updating windows, few people now resort to restoring wooden frames. They simply dismantle them and install plastic windows, but you can still fight for windowsills and not dismantle them, but restore them. Solid advantage of concrete products - they are much stronger than common plastic structures. In addition, by avoiding the dismantling of the window sill, you can save money. The only condition is that the window sill must be whole (not cracked).
Repair of concrete windowsill: stages of work
- Old paint is removed - it is upholstered with a hatchet to the concrete base. Dust and remnants of the old coating are swept away.
- The surface is primed (any primer for concrete will be suitable) and left to dry (the time is indicated on the manufacturer's instructions, but not less than 24 hours).
- The lower edge of the free end of the window sill (capinosa) is formed by a protective perforated corner (fixed with putty). If you wish to give the kapinos a rectangular shape, a corner is fixed on the upper edge of the end. Since Kapinos plays a mostly decorative function, you can give it a different shape or use inserts that will add a non-traditional look to the window opening.
- The entire surface of the window sill is covered with a starting putty. Time for drying is given. If a decorative overlay is not used and the surface is planned to be painted, then a finishing putty is applied and left to dry. The window sill is cleaned with a fine sandpaper, and the dust is carefully swept away.
- The surface is covered with enamel (at choice - glossy / matte). It is recommended to apply three coats of paint. To avoid stains, it is better to use a roller.
If you take into account some nuances when choosing a paint shade, you can get interesting design solutions. With the same shade of the frame, wall and window sill, the window opening takes the form of a niche and does not stand out in the room. The contrasting combination of a frame and a window sill of dark shades (lining can be used) with a light wall looks stylish. In this case, the window becomes an expressive element of the interior and may even not be decorated with additional curtains.
How to make a windowsill?
You can equip the window opening with a new window sill in two ways: install the finished concrete product or fill the bottom of the window opening with concrete, having previously fixed the formwork.
- On the edge of the opening is fixed wooden bar. Its width will determine the width of the sill removal, and the length - the length of the sill, taking into account the projections near the window slopes. The installation of the frame is necessarily controlled by the building level.
- The timbering is established (it is possible to use a chipboard). The thickness of the window sill is determined by the level of the window frame, therefore the particle board is fixed so that the sill surface is aligned with its upper edge.
- For structural strength, a reinforcing frame is placed inside the window opening - a piece of the laying grid. It is important to ensure that the ends of the grid do not rest against the formwork (otherwise, later rust spots on the window sill face may appear).
- Inside the formwork pours concrete mixture to the edge of the formwork. If white concrete and special dyes are used when mixing concrete, the sill made will get an interesting shade. Moreover, with the addition of the dye in the dry mix, the concrete will be evenly colored. And if you pour the dye into the mixed ready-mixed concrete, then the product will acquire interesting stains that imitate marble.
- After the concrete has dried (5-7 days), the formwork is carefully dismantled.
- The protective and decorative finish of the window sill is performed in several ways. You can polish the surface (applied to concrete with a shade) or lay tile, mosaic (it is important to take into account the thickness of the tile when determining the thickness of the sill and fixing the formwork).
This type of window opening design is distinguished by long installation / disassembly processes, but it turns out to be an ideal sill. And when installing the finished product, you can spend a lot of time to fit the design to the opening.
Different options for creating and repairing a concrete window sill make this product quite competitive in the market of building materials, and the variety of surface finishing options (wood lining, painting, imitation of marble texture, mosaic) turn the window sill into an important element of the room interior.