The plot of land constantly demands attention - it is necessary to take care of it, it needs to be ennobled, it is necessary to tinker with it. Selection of plants for him is an important aspect, which one cannot do without at the dacha. Among the fruit trees and ornamental shrubs that make the territory aesthetic, creeping plants stand out, among them actinidia is one of the most beautiful and unusual lianas of the middle belt.
Features and benefits of actinidia
There are few plants that can be planted in the garden in Russian latitudes, and not be afraid that they will die in the winter. Even fewer species are not only adapted for long wintering, but also have an aesthetic appearance, so valuable to gardeners.
Actinidia is a kind of exception, distinguished by a number of advantages.
Unlike many vines, actinidia is completely safe for buildings, which will curl. She has no aerial roots and she is not trying to get into the cracks, if you give her an alternative.
Actinidia has many species, easily reproduces at home, does not require special care and looks good - ideal for enlarging the site. The only difficulty that may arise with it is the need to have both female and male plants on the site.
Actinidia is duplex and will not bear fruit until pollination occurs.
There are three main groups on which depends exactly how actinidia will look, how high it will grow and what kind of appearance it will have.
Actinidia argut (Far East actinidia)
The most powerful of all cultivated species, reaches a height of 30 meters. Trunk in diameter up to 20, leaves up to 15 cm long. They have an ovoid shape, pointed, edges with small teeth. Flowers are white, fragrant, collected in inflorescences. Actinidia argut has subspecies:
- self-fertile - resistant to cold, ripens late, in September;
- seaside - worse than the cold, resistant to diseases and pests;
- large-fruited - resistant not only to cold, but also drought.
In order for actinidia to grow well, it is necessary not only to take good care of it, but also to plant it properly. There are three main seasons when possible:
- early spring, when the snow had just melted and the juices had not yet begun to move;
- late spring, when most plants have faded;
- Mid-autumn, when it still remains about a month before frosts.
Choose the right place should be guided by the following principles:
Actinidia prefers dry soils in which water does not linger. If at the site groundwater lies close to the surface, actinidia will have to plant in a specially poured hill.
Light and shadow
Actinidia seedlings tolerate shade well, but will bear fruit only if they receive enough sun. The best option - a place where the sun's rays are bright before lunch, in the hot afternoon hours reigns shadow.
Care for actinidia does not require any special knowledge. It is enough to carry out the following procedures:
- Watering. Every morning and every evening you need to spray the leaves of the plant, imitating rain, in dry weather it will help actinidia to remain in good condition. If there is a real drought, you need to moisten the soil around the plant every week, pouring up to 10 buckets of water at a time on it.
- Loosening. From time to time you need to loosen the soil at the roots of the plant - gently, shallowly, but often, at the same time removing growing weeds.
- Fertilizers. Fertilize actinidia need from time to time. Feed them with mineral fertilizers: nitrogen, phosphate and potassium. It is important that actinidia fertilizing does not contain chlorine - its presence will adversely affect the plant.
- Crop. It is held in summer, when there are a lot of grown seedlings, and they have already taken root enough. It is necessary to remove the branches, forming a more rarefied beautiful crown - this will allow the plant to bear fruit freely and receive enough light.
- Harvesting. Should be carried out when the fruit is ripe, with sufficient care. After the season is over, you need to buy fertilizer, than to feed actinidia for a peaceful winter.
- Winter. Very young seedlings that have been planted recently should be removed from the support and covered with spruce leaves with dry leaves. Adult actinidia can winter without shelter.
Sometimes there are diseases of actinidia, which also need to be corrected, but this happens rarely and it is usually enough to simply remove the infected shoots of the grown seedlings.
Reproduction of actinidia is a simple science. One who knows how to plant actinidia is definitely smart enough to master it.
The main thing you need to remember in the process - the floor of the plant is inherited. Consequently, taking the escape from the female plant, you can get female plants that will not bear fruit without male ones.
There are several ways in which actinidia breed.